Want To Make Your Ride More Effective? JoyRide's Top 5 Reasons To Turn. That. Knob.
We have all done it before. The instructor says to turn the resistance just one more 1/4 turn on a challenging hill climb. You are already panting, your legs are burning and you don’t think you can do it. The temptation could be to "fake it.” But don't, and here are our reasons why.
1. You will get stronger. Resistance is the key to building strength and endurance. The more road you put on, the stronger you’ll become in all aspects of your ride.
2. It's safer. When you have more resistance on the pedals, you won't spin out of control and potentially risk injury.
3. You will get a better workout. Increasing the resistance when cued to do so will result in a more efficient, calorie-torching 50 minutes. And your time is valuable!
4. You are building mental strength too! A strong athlete conditions both mental and physical fitness while riding. Being able to use resistance as a tool requires not only the legs to push, but also a mental commitment to fight through when the body is uncomfortable and fatigued. Real change in the mind and body occur through overcoming struggle.
5. You won't build bulk. But you will become leaner and fitter. Some people believe that loading on the resistance will cause quad, glute and hamstring muscles to become bulkier. However, the more muscle mass developed, the more efficient the body is and the higher the metabolism. So, with more toned lower and upper bodies, you will be burning calories well after you have unclipped and left the studio!
If you have any questions related to using resistance, please see any one of our knowledgable indoor cycling instructors.